Saturday, March 14, 2015

LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE -- Abstract Paintings

Abstract Painting -- "LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE"

First off, I haven't posted anything in a while and I would like to apologize for that. I have been busy and haven't really had time to sit down and write all this out. Second, I know I said the next post would be about Paracord Bracelets, but I had to shelve that idea for the time being and will get back to it at a later time.

About a month ago, I did my first painting in just over a decade. I was still in elementary school the last time I picked up a paintbrush, but I saw something I liked and could easily make (I mean it's called abstract painting for a reason, anyone can do it, right?) and I gave it a try.

It's really simple and something I saw on Pinterest (link is for the blog post, not the Pin). It simply says "LOVE" in white with pink, red, and purple bursts all over. I think its quite pretty and am selling it as part of a trio on Etsy. The other two say "LIVE" and "LAUGH" for a "Live, Laugh, Love" trio.

All you need to do this:
Canvas
Acrylic Paint - White, Red, Pink, Purple
Brushes
Painter's Tape
Ruler


I used a 12" x 16" canvas and flipped in to landscape, so it was 16" x 12". Then, we get our tape out and make the letters for "LOVE" across the canvas. My vertical letters were 7" high and the horizontal ones were 3.5".


Once you have your letters on the canvas and they are spaced in such a way that pleases you (I made sure my "L" and "E" were 2" from the edge of the canvas), you are ready for your first coat of paint! You're going to paint over everything with white. The tape too, make sure the whole canvas is covered. Remember, that you are probably going to be painting the sides of the canvas as well if you go with one that is ready to hang. Acrylic paint dries very fast, so you should only have to let it sit for 10 minutes, at the most.

Once your base coat is dry, fill your palette with the red, pink, and purple and start your brush strokes. Some of mine look a little like star bursts, and others are just strokes going one way or another. However you want to make it, do that. Once you're done with the front of the canvas, move on to the sides. Try not to paint near the tape too thick because it can bleed through if you're not careful.


If you have an easel, do the vertical sides first and then give them a few minutes to dry before you turn the painting to portrait and do the other edges. Set it down somewhere out of the way to let it dry and then carefully peel the tape off.


And now you have a pretty painting to put up in the house or gift to a loved one! It can also be a nice project to do with your kids! Don't forget to sign your name on the back. :)

Thanks for reading!

Until next time,
~ Kimiko White of Andromeda Crafts

No comments:

Post a Comment